A brief overview on hardware
Version 0.1 - Hardware requirements
The hardware platform capable of running the Maverick OS v0.1 will be fairly limited, though meassures are taken to make, especially, drivers compatible with as much hardware as possible. The mission goal for version 0.1 is to have a stable version of the OS
running on a basic x86 compatible platform. This basic platform must contain the following:
- IA-32 compatible processor. An Intel 386 and up should work.
- xx Mb of main memory. The amount has not yet been determined.
- Card and display capable of 80x25 text mode.
- Standard keyboard and keyboard interface.
- Standard PC components, like PIC, PIT, RTC.
Initial drivers will be generic which means they will only use hardware functions which are (or considered to be) standard. Later drivers (may) be written to utilize special hardware functions.